Hunting is an activity that requires skill and judgment, especially when dealing with different species of wildlife. Sometimes, however, hunters can accidentally kill a protected species because of poor vision or inability to tell the difference, with irreversible consequences. Just this month, on the 8th, an Idaho hunter was hunting in the Panhandle when he encountered an animal he thought was a black bear and opened fire on it. When he got closer to check it out, he realized he had shot a grizzly, a bear species listed as threatened in 48 U.S. states. This incident has raised concerns about the differences and protection of grizzly and black bears. This article will describe the characteristics of grizzly and black bears and how to use infrared binoculars to distinguish them and help hunters make the right choice when hunting.
Grizzly bears and black bears are two different bear species that have distinct differences in body size, coat color, paws, ears and other characteristics. Grizzly bears are larger than black bears, with males weighing about 500 pounds and females weighing 160 pounds, they can weigh up to 800 pounds. Grizzly paws are on average 1 meter tall, white or pale yellow, curved and long for digging. Grizzly bear fur varies from light fawn to dark brown or black, and usually has a layer of gray or silvery fur on the back and shoulders, forming a distinct shoulder crest. Grizzly bears have a large head with a discoid face that is curved from the forehead to the nose; the ears are smaller and rounded.
Black bears are smaller, with males weighing about 400 pounds and females weighing 65-150 kg, with a shoulder height of 0.75 meters. Black bears have short, straight paws that are black or brown and are suitable for climbing trees. The coat of black bears is usually jet black and glossy, with a white chin and an inverted herringbone white or yellow patch on the chest. However, some bears have coats ranging from cinnamon to brown. Black bears have small heads and flat faces; their ears are large and pointed.
Grizzly bears and black bears also have different ranges. Grizzly bears are found primarily in western North America and northwestern Canada and are the most common subspecies of brown bear in North America. Black bears are found throughout much of eastern and western North America, as well as in some areas of Canada and Mexico. They both prefer to inhabit montane forests, but grizzly bears prefer open grasslands and mountain slopes, while black bears prefer dense woods and swamps.
Both grizzly and black bears are omnivores, but grizzly bears prefer animal foods such as fish, insects, rodents and hoofed animals, while black bears prefer plant foods such as grasses, shoots, fruits, seeds and nuts. Both grizzly and black bears have hibernation habits, but grizzly bears hibernate for longer periods, generally from October to April, while black bears hibernate for shorter periods, generally from November to March. Both grizzly and black bears are nocturnal, but grizzly bears are more aggressive and territorial, while black bears are more adaptive and evasive.
Infrared binoculars are an optical instrument that uses infrared light to detect and image distant targets in dark or low-light environments. The principle of infrared binoculars is to convert infrared rays emitted or reflected from objects into visible images through objective lenses, infrared detectors, electronic signal processors, displays and other components, thus achieving night vision.
The advantages of infrared binoculars are
– It can work in lightless or dim light conditions, independent of weather, smoke, haze and other factors, and is suitable for a variety of complex environments.
– It can detect the temperature and shape of the target, which helps to identify and locate the target and improve the accuracy and efficiency of observation.
– It can protect the observer’s eyes from the stimulation and injury of bright light or laser, and improve the safety of the observer.
– It allows simultaneous observation using both eyes, enhancing the sense of stereo and depth, reducing eye fatigue and improving the comfort of the observer.
Infrared binoculars have a wide range of applications, mainly including
– Military field: used for reconnaissance, surveillance, target identification, night operations and other tasks.
– Civilian field: used for wildlife observation, hunting, camping, outdoor adventure, rescue, security and other activities.
– Scientific field: used for astronomical observation, geological exploration, environmental monitoring, medical diagnosis and other research.
The types and characteristics of infrared binoculars are
– According to the type of infrared detector, infrared binoculars can be divided into thermal and passive infrared binoculars. Thermal cameras use thermal radiation emitted from an object to image it, and passive infrared binoculars use ambient light reflected from an object to image it.
– Based on the optical design, infrared binoculars can be divided into Galilean and Pro type. Galileo type is made using one convex lens and one concave lens, the image is a positive image, but the field of view is narrow and the magnification is not high. The Pro type is made using two Pro prisms in a zigzag arrangement, and the image is also a positive image, but with a wide field of view and a high magnification.
– Based on the application scenario, infrared binoculars can be divided into military and civilian. Military infrared binoculars usually have high performance, high reliability, high stability and high concealment, and are suitable for night reconnaissance, surveillance and target identification tasks. Civilian infrared binoculars usually have low-cost, lightweight, easy to operate and other characteristics, suitable for wildlife observation, hunting, camping, outdoor adventure and other activities.
Infrared binoculars are an optical instrument that uses infrared detection and imaging to observe distant targets in dark or low-light environments. The types and features of infrared binoculars depend mainly on the type of infrared detector, optical design and application scenario. The advantage of infrared binoculars is that they can detect the temperature and shape of the target, which helps to identify and locate the target and improve the accuracy and efficiency of observation. Infrared binoculars have a wide range of applications, including mainly military, civil and scientific.